Class Notes: Finding Characters for Stories
Find memorable characters
- The best characters in a story are colorful, outgoing, opinionated and lively
- You should know how to tell big stories through strong characters
- Tell complex stories through strong characters who are closest to the story. Look for the person behind the news event
- Choose characters carefully. Don’t clutter your story with too many characters, but use enough to give your story the close-up and the wide shot.
- How do you find these characters? At the scene, by looking around, asking questions and talking. You must come out of your shell!